Establishing a Charitable Fund
It is easy to establish your own named charitable fund and it can be done in less than a day. Any of these funds can be established in the name of your family, your organizations, or anyone you wish to honor. All grants distributed from the fund you establish are awarded to charities in the name of that fund. It is a great way to always be involved with and remembered for your community investment.
- Donor Advised Funds Donors who want a more active role in grantmaking can establish a Donor Advised Fund. This allows you to recommend charitable organizations to receive grants from your fund. The Bay Area Community Foundation can help you verify the charitable status and mission of the organizations and identify organizations you may want to support. Family members can also be named as fund advisors, thereby encouraging children and grandchildren to carry on family philanthropy.
- Community Initiative Funds Your gift can address ever-changing community needs – including future needs that often cannot be anticipated at the time your gift is made. We evaluate all aspects of community well-being – arts and culture, economic development, education, environment, health and human services, neighborhood revitalization, and more. The flexibility of your unrestricted gift enables the Bay Area Community Foundation’s program experts to respond to the community’s most pressing needs, today, and tomorrow.
- Field of Interest Funds You can target your gift to address needs in an important area of community life. You identify your personal interest area when making your gift; our board awards grants to community organizations and programs that are making a difference in the area you select.
- Scholarships You can invest your gift in our community’s future and show students you care, all with the guidance and personal service of the Bay Area Community Foundation. You determine the criteria students must meet to receive the Scholarship you establish. With your assistance, students achieve their academic and career-oriented goals – from preschool to postgraduate work.
- Designated Funds You can direct your gift to a specific nonprofit organization or purpose. Help provide ongoing funding for a senior center, museum, or virtually any nonprofit charitable organization. Nonprofit organizations can use a Designated Fund through the Bay Area Community Foundation to build their endowment and enhance their ability to accept large and complex gifts.